Sunday, February 20, 2011

ski day #1

Today we rode the bus up with Sugar and Pa so the boys could show them their 'stuff'. Lucky for all of us, it was a gorgeous sun shiny day!


First, we went to the terrain park off of the bunny hill so the boys could do some jumps.
Next, we got ourselves into some black diamond action! Quicksilver is highly visible from the village so we all went and gave that a try. It was Ben's first time on that run, but it was easy for him.
After that, we went back up so that we could make the run down JR... that one feeds right into the village and has a great view for pictures and videos. Ben wanted to do his own thing, having felt like we held him back a bit on Quicksilver. So, he went down Upper JR and came right on down the lower portion all by himself. Sam and I skied all the way down the Great Divide to the Tea Kettle trail and then went down a smidge of Sundance to lower JR. We came down JR together while Sugar and Pa filmed us. What an amazing skier my little guy is! He has grown so much this season!
Well, as I had anticipated, that was not quite enough ski time for the boys. Sugar and Pa went in to the lounge and the boys and I went up to check out Ben's secret adventure spot. We took the Basin Express over towards Crystal, they went down the skiers race course and I watched from the side. We met up at the bottom and Ben led us to the fort in the trees. I saw the little tiny path they went down and immediately had some serious reservations! I called out that I didn't think this path was made for grown ups! A few kids down in that treed area called back that their mom had come down there. (Thanks, random kids.) Ben and Sam were hollering "Come on, MOM!" and I couldn't even see them! Well, it was do or die time so I went for it. I shimmied, side-slipped and used all my best don't-smash-into-a-tree maneuvers and was rewarded with a safe trip to the "fort". It was pretty cool in there, see for yourself!

Sam strikes a pose the "snow table"




Sam said, "Ben, it's like you are riding an ELEPHANT!"

After that, the boys took a path through the trees and I was able to traverse back out to the run (you know, where grown-ups ski).
We met up after a minute or two and went to find Sugar and Pa. I had them admire my fantastic locker stacking abilities and then we headed for the bus. Another great day on the mountain!

Here's a little video synopsis of the day:



No comments: